Monday, October 8, 2007

Meet Chalcedony

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I went, with friends, to a huge livestock sale. I mean HUGE - more than 2,400 head of sheep and goats, a few pigs, horses and cattle, about 2 hours worth of auctioneering on poultry and rabbits and an alpaca and a llama.

We got there at about 9 a.m. after leaving our home at about 5:30 a.m. I had dragged my sorry self out of bed at about 5 a.m. to sort the animals I was taking to the sale. We had with us 7 of their goats and 8 of my weanling lambs - 7 rams and 1 ewe and could could use none of 'em and they were eating hay. It was time to find them a good home.

That was my job as assigned by Jen. Take the lambs, drop 'em off, get the check, come home.

I was amazed when we arrived at the size of the place. And even more amazed that is was almost all goat and sheep. My experience with sale barns had been more of the all cattle with a few sheep and goats. This was a nice change.

The folks I went with did go to check out the offerings and wandered around with them. It's sort of like a WalMart for goat and sheep in there. Most of what I saw left me very unimpressed - some left me sad and some left me downright angry - and I was about to go take a nap in the truck when I saw her.

Long story short, I skipped my nap and waited ringside all day long for a chance to bid on her and I got her.

But wait! Who is she? She is a bred 2 year old icelandic ewe and she's pretty and healthy... well, see for yourelf...



What about that name? well, it's a C year and I wanted a name that was pretty and suited her. I wracked my brain trying to come up with one... Finally, inspiration struck like a rock. From Merriam Webster.com
chalcedony

Main Entry:
chal·ce·do·ny
Pronunciation:
\kal-ˈse-dən-ē, chal-; ˈkal-sə-ˌdō-nē, ˈchal-, -ˌdä-\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural chal·ce·do·nies
Etymology:
Middle English calcedonie, a precious stone, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin chalcedonius, from Greek Chalkēdōn Chalcedon
Date:
13th century
: a translucent variety of quartz of various colors and waxy luster

3 comments:

Marcy said...

That is one gorgeous Icelandic ewe. Lovely horns. I'm shocked that she was at a sale like that. Do you know who her breeder was?

bischow said...

She's beautiful!
I hope she has some nice lambs for you in the spring!
Louise

broadcasting from a knitting parlour said...

Pretty ewe! Your blog is lovely. Thanks for the link on Sheep Thrills...