Thursday, August 23, 2007

Well, poop!

Who would have thought that seeing an animal get scours would be a cause for celebration? That was the case this yesterday, though.

It started with losing Rosemary, our momma llama. Her cria for this year was orphaned by that tragedy and we have tried since that day to take care of him, but he seemed to be slipping. At first, he'd run from us playfully. Then, he'd just stand there. Then he was laying down and would get up as we approached. Then he would just lay there.

That was the same progression that Rosemary suffered and we began to fear we were going to lose Kermit, too.

So afraid was I that when I approached him and he refused to stand I reached down and hoisted him up in my arms. That's when I noticed that his belly was quite distended.

Part of the problem in performing a successful diagnosis of a critter comes from not being able to observe enough. Had we been watching all the time we might have noticed that he had not been making his trips to the little llama room. Seems he was plugged up.

We administered an enema, lots of fluids, grains and beet pulp mash, and yogurt. Then we waited.

We were rewarded last night by a display that can only be described as revolting!

We can't be sure that the problems Kermit was having are completely over, but he does appear to be recovering. He's up and about, has a lot more energy, and what goes in one end comes out the other after a while. Now, he's getting some Pepto (which he hates and shows us by spraying - shaking his head not spitting - us with what he doesn't get swallowed) and lots of fluids and no milk.

Meanwhile, I developed a case of bee hypochondria after attending the Ozark Foothills Beekeeping Associations monthly meeting. When I went to check on the bees I saw a pile of 'em under the hive. I was worried. I thought varroa mite or tracheal mite or hive beetle or one of apparently a billion other pests or diseases that can wreak havoc with a hive. I called Sonny from the Lost Creek Apiary (in the Spring he moonlights as a bee inspector for the Arkansas Plant Board) to come out and check my hives.

He did and says they're fine healthy hives and that the bees under the hives are just hanging out in the 'basement' while there's not enough work for them to do and it's too hot in the hive... sort of like the guys hanging out at the pub shooting pool.

As you know I only want to keep my critters happy... anyone know where I can get a bee sized billiards table?

No comments: